Many people ask me how I continue to come up with new ideas for my Talley Farms Fresh Harvest CSA produce. Well I must admit, it does take some research and thought to create something new every week. But it never ceases to amaze me at the infinite number of ways there are to combine and create new recipes with their fabulous produce!
Lately I have resorted to making shakes with any extra ingredients I haven’t used. Although I prefer not to drink my meals, it certainly is a great way to use a bit of this and a little of that which might be leftover from other recipes. And it also makes an easy and nutritious meal when you’re on the go. Another way to utilize an assortment of produce is to make a soup. And that is what I made today in this Sensational Superfood Soup made with broccoli, spinach & kale!
Staying with my recent healthier eating program, I continued the plan of using the best wholesome ingredients in this soup. Coconut oil and coconut milk along with organic broth are the basis for the soup along with veggies and seasonings. A simple process that you can have ready in about a half hour. Garnish is always a must, especially with a plain silky smooth soup and this one I topped with some toasted nuts and coconut in addition to a drizzle of my tahini cream. Use whatever you have on hand – I chose a bit of tahini, Greek yogurt and coconut milk all whisked together. It made a splendid splash of contrast putting a nice finish to the soup.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic. minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- dash aleppo pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 3/4 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds & sunflower seeds, chopped coconut, tahini cream*
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sprinkle in the cumin, aleppo pepper and a pinch of salt and stir well. Cover the pot and let the onions soften for about 3 minutes.
- Place the broccoli, spinach and kale into the pot and stir to mix. Pour in the stock and stir. Adjust the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli is tender. Don’t worry if the stock doesn’t cover all of the vegetables.
- Remove the pot from the heat and uncover. Let cool for a few minutes, then transfer the contents of the pot in batches to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Return the soup to a clean pot, on low-medium heat and stir in the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- To serve, top the soup with a drizzle of tahini cream. (*I mixed equal portions of tahini, Greek yogurt & coconut milk) Sprinkle on top with toasted nuts and coconut. Serve immediately.
(click here) for printable recipe