As a child, I used to fight with my brother over cinnamon rolls. I loved those Pillsbury “place and bake” rolls hot from the oven with melted icing on top. This pie brings back those fond memories, with a new twist on a healthier version. This amazing pie is made with a somewhat unique mixture of ingredients. And although there is sugar in the pie and frosting, all of the other ingredients are quite healthy. I have actually cut back on some of the sugar and frosting without losing any of the flavor so that’s a plus too! This recipe creates a rich, dense flavored pie that will remind you of the decadent cinnamon rolls you may have eaten in the past without all of the guilt! Well, at least not as much guilt…
So are you wondering what these unique ingredients are? The main ingredients are oatmeal, garbanzo or white beans, applesauce and coconut oil. Not what you would expect in a cinnamon roll, right? It’s so easy to make; you just add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend them all together. Bake and frost. That’s it!
Serve this Cinnamon Roll Pie to your overnight guests along with an egg based dish for breakfast or with a dish of fruit alongside a steaming cup of coffee. It makes a great afternoon snack or even an after dinner dessert. No matter how you serve it, your guests will be delighted!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 cans garbanzo or white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons cinnamon (based on your preference)
- mini cinnamon chips, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk or half and half
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoons almond extract
- Blend all ingredients very, very well in a food processor. Pour into an oiled pan. (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350℉ for around 30-35 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- To make the frosting: Put all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat together until smooth.
- Frost the pie with Cinnamon Bun Frosting. Top with cinnamon chips if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
(click here) for printable recipe