I am a serious fan of my Talley Farms CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Program. Like the rest of you though, some weeks I end up going out too much and I’m left with veggies that I haven’t used and don’t want to waste. That is when I look for something to make that will utilize a bunch of items in one recipe. This salad is perfect for that!
The best part about this salad is that it is served raw. You don’t even have to cook a thing! It is fresh, crunchy, healthy and easy to assemble. I usually make enough to have leftovers, but store the veggies and dressing separately so it is perfectly fresh for each meal. It is best made about 30 minutes or so ahead so that the flavors can meld, which means you could store it dressed. However, I personally like it dressed and served the same day.
Another great thing about this salad is that you can be creative and add a host of different ingredients based on what you have in your fridge. Here is what I put in mine: broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, snap peas, purple and orange carrots, purple and white radishes, red & orange bell peppers and green onions. Then for fun, I added some reconstituted currants, toasted almonds and chunks of sharp cheddar cheese. Along with the sweet & sour dressing, my salad was brought to life!
There are so many variations you could use in making this salad, it’s almost too ridiculous to mention. Almost any fresh veggie, any dried fruit, any type of nut, and any type of cheese making any combination you like! The options are endless.
- 1/2 small head broccoli, broken into bite sized florets
- 1/2 head small cauliflower, broken into bite sized florets
- 2 carrots sliced into coins
- 2/3 cup snap peas, strings removed and cut diagonally into 3 pieces
- 2-3 radishes, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, any color or combination, sliced thinly
- 1 large green onion, sliced-white and light green parts
- 1/4 cup currants, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, reserve liquid
- 1/2 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reserved liquid from currants
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients except the almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients and a generous quantity of fresh ground pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Allow to sit for 30 minutes (or an hour in the fridge) so the flavors can mingle.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle in the toasted almonds and toss.
- I store leftovers separately: refrigerate vegetable salad and dressing separately. Store toasted nuts in an airtight container on the counter.
(Printable recipe can be found in my recipe index under Salads)