Kale, kale, kale…is it losing it’s wonder? Kale has been one of the most “talked-about” vegetables of the last few years. Are people getting tired of it? I submit that the nutritional benefits that it holds, should keep you in the kale fan club for years to come. Some of the more apparent benefits of kale are it’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. It is a natural detoxifier, offers heart support and has been known to be helpful in cancer prevention. It is low in fat and super rich in vitamins and minerals.
So how can we keep or make you a fan of kale? Let’s keep it simple. If done correctly, kale can taste absolutely wonderful. Take this simple Kale Salad, for instance. It takes only minutes to prepare and packs a ton of flavor. Use it as your main dish for lunch or a light supper. Or as a colorful accompaniment to any protein you wish to prepare.
The key to succeeding in making something you and your guests will love is to follow these 3 easy steps.
- Don’t use a bottled dressing on your kale salad. It simply needs a bit of fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Massage the lemon juice and olive oil into the leaves by hand. That ensures complete coverage and assists the kale in getting rid of any bitterness while making it nice and pliable.
- Add some complimentary ingredients to your salad that will enhance the flavor of the finished product. Additional taste and texture completes the dish to make it perfect!
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale (stemmed and torn into bite size pieces)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- avocado, chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise (mixed medley is best)
- 8 pitted black olives, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place the kale in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon and massage it into the kale with your hands until it is thoroughly coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the kale on a platter and top with the avocado, tomatoes, olives and pine nuts.
(click here) for printable recipe